Throughout the centuries it has undergone many transformations but also suffered major damage during the religious wars of the 16th century and the earthquake of 1660.
Far-reaching changes were made between the 12th and 13th centuries, inspired by the Romanesque style. This is why a second church reserved for monks was attached to its western façade. The ruins of the nave of the building can still be seen.
The restoration of the church, which first began in 1659 and then started again in 1676, including rebuilding the east apse, was completed in 1680.